Featured in the study is Vixely inspiration and advisor Logan Levkoff, who says, ”We all have varying needs and desires when it comes to leading a fulfilling sex life. We lead such chaotic lives that it’s easy to become complacent in the bedroom. We need to make it a priority to maintain intimacy by having honest discussions with our partners about what turns us on, whether it’s a new toy or a sexual fantasy.”
“We’re seeing a movement where women and men are becoming more comfortable talking about sex openly and exploring their sexuality by getting innovative in the bedroom to charge things up, which is why we continue to get innovative in the lab,” said Bruce Weiss, Vice President of Marketing for Trojan Sexual Health products. “Whether it’s making vibrators more accessible, or introducing exciting, new condom variants like Charged, Trojan is always looking to ways to make sex more pleasurable and exciting.”
Here is what we learned:
1. The average American has sex three times a week.
Americans are having more sex (151 times a year / 2.9 times a week) compared to 2011 (120 times a year / 2.3 times a week).
2. Most people are satisfied with their sex life, but fewer than before.
67% of Americans claiming to be satisfied with their sex life in 2012 versus 76% in 2011.
3. Most people want their sex life to be more exciting.
81% of Americans are looking for ways to make their sex life more exciting.
4. Most Americans say they are sexually adventurous.
56%, to be exact.
6. The most common way we keep things exciting is through “spontaneous sex.”
Top ranking ways in which Americans charge things up include spontaneous sex (48%), using lubricant (40%), having sex someplace different (36%) and dirty talk (32%).
7. 72% of Americans use vibrators.
8. 70% of Americans will try a condom designed to enhance orgasmic pleasure.
9. 32% of Americans have had sex outdoors.
One in three have hooked up on the beach or at a friend’s place.
10. More people sext and have phone sex than send sexual images or videos.
23% have engaged in “sexting,” 22% have participated in phone sex 16% have sent a naughty photo or video.
11. Atlanta residents are the most sexually adventurous (71%).
They also exhibit the highest sex drive (7.2 out of 10).
12. Miami residents have the most sex and are the most satisfied.
They report the highest rate of sexual satisfaction (73%) and have the most sex (177 times a year).
13. Dallas residents have sex the longest (39 minutes). But…
14. Southerners are the LEAST sexually satisfied.
44% have faked an orgasm (47% in Dallas) and 53% report their sex life wish their sex life was more exciting, with all statistics leading the nation. (Ugh, nothing like long, bad sex.)
15. San Franciscans have the LEAST amount of sex, but are the most satisfied.
Bay Area residents have sex the least (120 times a year) with the shortest sessions (31 minutes), yet have high rates of satisfaction (65 percent) and are least likely to fake an orgasm (31 percent).
16. Men think about sex almost four times more per day than women.
Sex is on the mind with men thinking about the deed 15 times a day, versus women, who fantasize about the bedroom a mere four times per day.
17. More men than women want sex to last longer.
41% of men indicated they want sex to last longer, compared to 34% of women.
18. 60% of women fake orgasms.
19. The majority of women AND men like using vibrators during sex.
74% of men and 70% of women are open to using a vibrator during sex.
20. Sex gets better with age.
Younger people more likely to fake orgasms. Boomers (32%) are the least likely to fake an orgasm compared to Millennials (45%).
About The Survey
The Trojan® Charged™ Sex Life Survey is based on two studies conducted by StrategyOne. The survey was conducted from May 4 – May 15, 2012. The first, a national sample of 1,000 10-minute surveys were conducted online among U.S. Adults 18+. The results are nationally representative based, weighted to U.S. Census on age, gender, region, ethnicity, income, education. With 95% confidence, the margin of error is +/- 3.1%. The data was weighted to ensure that the sample’s composition reflects that of the actual U.S. population according to U.S. Census figures.
The second is a study conducted online in ten major U.S. cities among Adults 18+. The cities are: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Miami, San Francisco, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Washington D.C., Atlanta, and Houston. A total of 2,000 10-minute surveys were conducted. Sample size of 200 per city. With 95% confidence, the margins of error at n=2002 = +/- 2.19%